There are so many ways by which we limit ourselves without knowing. Some of our thoughts, beliefs and lifestyle are the reasons why we are not where we truly want to be. They are the very reasons for our standstill or set back in life.
To get rid of every ounce of self limitation in you, you need to have a self awareness session with yourself: a moment of deep reflection and assessment of your character and personality, your beliefs and lifestyle.
How have you been holding yourself back from greatness? Have you been shooting yourself in the leg all this while? How have you been engaging in self-limitation? Let’s find out…
– You cherish your ego way too much
Opportunities for greatness can come from any source, at any point in time and in any situation. Having a personality that exhibits pride and arrogance can greatly hold you back from getting access to these opportunities.
What are the signs of an overblown ego?
- You find it difficult to apologize even when you are wrong
- You find it difficult to associate with others
- You are too shy- yes, being overly shy can be as a result of being excessively self-aware and overly conscious of one’s self and ego- which is caused by the fear of making a fool of yourself.
Most people prefer to work and play with someone who is easy going and humble. Don’t limit yourself by choosing to satisfy your ego in all situations.
- What would it take to apologize to someone you have wronged?
- What would it take to make the first move to greet or say a friendly hello or hi to your neighbors and colleagues at work?
- What would it take to start a meaningful conversation with a fellow attendee at an event or seminar?
- What would it take to ask those who are more enlightened or knowledgeable than you for solutions to problems or answers to questions you have?
- What would it take to cast your ego aside and make that move to live a richer and more rewarding life that appreciates the good in others and therefore, opens you up to the countless opportunities for greatness that abound in life?
– You have little or no faith in God’s ability to move you forward (not atheist)
Faith in God keeps us going in trying times, it gives us hope that all things will work for our good in the long run. Faith in God helps us to stay on track and remain optimistic even when the situation around us is greatly demoralizing.
For some, however, faith only exists when things are rosy and greatly promising. Send a little storm their way and alas, their faith will disappear into thin air. Their once optimistic personality becomes a thing of the past, their daily routine becomes whining and complaining about how the world has turned against them, how God has deserted them with no ray of hope of a breakthrough.
Well, how worse can it get? What or who else represents hope and greatness if not God? God is the origin, the beginning and the end of hope, of positivity and of all things good. If God doesn’t move you forward, who will? The Devil?
– You don’t engage in personal development
Personal development is a never ending journey. You can never have enough of it.
No matter how high your level of education is, how great your financial status is or how influential your network of friends and associates are, without actively engaging in personal development, all these might just fizzle out before you know it.
Personal development helps you to upgrade the good you already have to greatness and also helps you to get rid of negative attitude, beliefs or character that can hinder your path to great achievements.
Someone who doesn’t engage in personal development has more or less set a limit for his or her own growth and development. It’s like saying “I have it all, I don’t need any more than I already have”. Let’s be realistic, can you ever have it all? Can you ever know it all? Is it possible to never be in need of anything?
School might be over but you should never stop learning. Read books, watch videos, listen to relevant audio tapes, attend seminars and events with great messages to help you grow and be better physically, financially, socially, spiritually and in all areas of your life.
Form the habit of finding out the lessons in your experiences. What have you learnt so far in life? How much more are you willing to learn?
– You don’t seek and keep good network of highly impactful people
The popular saying goes: “Show me your friend and I’d tell you who you are.”
But with the present age of internet and social media, I’d say: “show me your contacts (or social media connections) and I’d tell you who you’re likely to become.”
Your experiences and associations have a very high probability of influencing you, whether you like it or not. When you go online, the kind of sites you visit, the things you read, watch and hear on these websites can greatly influence your character, beliefs and overall lifestyle.
When you follow or associate with people who don’t add value to you, people who post negatively influential information online, you are not only limiting yourself, you are also opening your mind up to destruction and ruin.
Seek actively for association with people who can potentially move you forward through an exemplary lifestyle and inspirational personality. Whether online or offline, let the personality of your friends and associates reveal whom you truly want to be in life. Choose positivity over negativity any time.
– You have low self esteem and no self confidence
You need self confidence if you truly want to explore the opportunities for greatness that abound in life. You need to have a moderate level of self esteem to start with if you really want to go for gold and not stones.
Signs you have a low self esteem are:
- When you constantly give reasons why you are not good enough for one thing or the other
- When you constantly shy away from responsibilities and commitments
- When you think you need to lower your standards or under-rate yourself just to fit in or gain acceptance of friends, colleagues or associates.
- When you constantly compare yourself with others in a way that makes you feel they are better than you (even when that’s not the case).
Having a low self esteem is greatly self-limiting as you are never really able to make good use of opportunities that come to you not to talk of going out there to grab one for yourself.
If you do not believe in your own ability or potential to thrive and be successful, who will?
– You live in fear
Many have surrendered to a life of sadness and despair caused by unfulfilled dreams and aspirations. While many claim to want success and financial breakthrough, only a few have taken up the challenge to conquer their fears and go for it.
When you allow your fears to thrive, you are engaging in self limitation.
Fear is what tells you that you will fail even before you have begun. Fear is that negative energy that sucks you dry of all elements of positivity and motivation to embark on your journey to greatness.
It is okay to analyze your strengths and weaknesses and be realistic about them. However, you should remember that your personality is not permanent and positive changes can be made where necessary in order to move your life forward.
Don’t let the fear of the known or unknown to hold you back from setting great goals and working towards their achievement.
Make a commitment today to get rid of all self limiting thoughts, attitude/character and beliefs that have kept you from achieving success in all areas of your life.
Your opinion of yourself matters a lot. If there’s anything in this world that can limit you, just make sure that it’s not You!
2 thoughts on “SELF LIMITATION: WHY YOU MAY NEVER “GET THERE” [SUCCEED]”
Great post and very practical tips. Thanks for sharing and all the best!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks Steven! All the best to you too 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person